Sunday, October 08, 2006

Things I've Learned about Riding a Bike...

About three weeks ago my husband and I were walking the dog. All of a sudden he said, "I think we should buy a bike each to keep fit."

"Hmmm," I said, and then after a bit of lightning quick thought, I added, "Okay. Good idea." I mean any thought of fitness and exercise should be encouraged, right?

One week later we had our bikes. I hadn't expected him to move so quickly, dammit. I thought it was one of those ideas that would be shelved. Ah-ah. Suddenly I was the owner of a brand new bike, which was a bit daunting for a person who had never owned one as a kid. (We lived on a farm and there was no where suitable to ride a bike).

Luckily riding a bike isn't something you forget and after a little bit of wobbling down the road I was all set. I've come to enjoy my daily bike ride. Here are a few things I've learned about bikes and the riding of:
  1. There are loads of hills around where we live. The road might look flat but believe me, the hills are there...lurking...
  2. A pretty colored helmet doesn't mean it will look sexy when it's on your head.
  3. Gel seats are the best invention.
  4. I am not a speed demon. I hate hills and speed.
  5. My husband is a speed demon.
  6. Shorts, bike riding, and building sites equals embarrassment.
  7. Some cars and their drivers don't like sharing the road.
  8. It's a great time to think about plotting and writing but watch for those potholes!
  9. Riding a bike is hard work.
  10. You get to see lots more e.g. gardens and wildlife
  11. It's addictive
  12. Gel seats are the best invention!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What things do you like doing in your spare time? How do you keep fit? Do you play any sports?

I'm giving away a PDF download of Wild Child, my latest release from New Concepts Publishing. All you need to do is comment on one of the posts during the next few days. The more times you comment, the more chances you have to win. I'll pick a winner and announce it on Friday, which is my next post day.

15 Comments:

Blogger N.J.Walters said...

Woohoo! You look great on the bike, Shelley.

Seriously though, I admire you and your husband for trying to keep in shape. I'm strictly a walker. I didn't even like bikes when I was a kid--too fast. LOL Speed demon, I'm not.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

I can totally relate. The hubby took up cycling in a major way after we were first married. I pretty much hated it. Couldn't figure out the shifting, did not have a gel seat!, and he always picked epic rides ( read minimum 3 hrs). Was so relieved when he found a friend from work that he could "play" with. Plus it gave him and our boys another sport to bond over.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Cathie - Eek! 3 hours???? I've just returned form a 35 min ride - (about 8 - 10 km). That's more than enough for me!

NJ - I love to walk, too, which was why I was a bit dubious about the bike. We still walk the dog a couple of times a day so I vary my exercise. I had to do something to beat writers' bottom spread!

8:09 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

I think bike riding is great exercise.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

Good for you, Shelley!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

Hey, that's a nice activity to do with the hubby!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I don't ride bikes or anything, exercise I get playing with my grandson and working on my yard. In freetime I read do all sorts of crafts teach some craft classes.
I used to play volleyball but busted up my ankles to much

6:27 PM  
Blogger Pamk said...

I think I need to get a bike used to love riding one as a teen and kid before I got a driver's license would bike for miles and miles. But are the seats really more comfortable.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Renee: Eek - don't talk to me about gears. It's taken me a while to work everything out. I've never owned a bike before.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Liz: I like volleyball, although I haven't played for a while. I don't like the sound of the busted ankles, though!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Lisa: Oh, boy - I hear you about the helmet hair!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Crystal: I refuse to play board games with my hubby. He gets so serious and he alway wins! ;-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Gel seats? Yep, they're so wonderful my son just stole mine off my bike and put it on his! ROFL!

TJ
www.tjmichaels.com

9:44 PM  
Blogger J said...

You look kewl. I haven't cycled in ages. The last time I remember we had to get up this steep incline. I simply got off and walked. LOL

3:33 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

TJ - ROFLOL! Your son sounds smart!

Jennybrat: thanks! I didn't go riding today - it was too windy. Wind is not fun for a bikie!

Tehya: Glad you found us! Swimming is great exercise. Have you tried water aerobics? That's a lot of fun, but very hard work. Takes a bit of coordination to follow the instructor and stay afloat!!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home