Monday, October 30, 2006

DVD Mania!

My man and I love to watch movies and buy lots of DVDs for the nights when there isn't much on TV (which is often, despite the large number of channels available!)

Here are three movies we've enjoyed recently:

KEEPING MUM
starring Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith and Patrick Swayze.

Walter Goodfellow (Rowan Atkinson) is the vicar of Little Wallop. He's become obsessed with his job and isn't paying his wife (Kristin Scott Thomas) much attention. Their two kids are having problems - the daughter is sex-crazed and the son is being bullied. Enter the American golf coach (Patrick Swayze) and Grace (Maggie Smith) the housekeeper.

This is a black comedy and starts off in the past. A beautiful young woman chops up her husband and his lover and puts them in a huge chest. When the chest leaks blood on the train she is caught and put in jail. Years later she gets out of jail and goes off to Little Wallop as a housekeeper. You see where this is leading, right?

I never thought I'd laugh at murder, but I watched this movie alternatively fascinated and horrified. My man lent it to his boss and another couple at his work and both couples loved the movie as much as us. Recommended!

KINKY BOOTS

An ailing shoe company that makes conservative men's shoes saves itself from bankruptcy by entering a niche market and making shoes and boots for transvestites.

I didn't know any of the actors in this movie but it's a real feel good movie with an ending that makes you go "ah". It's also based on a true story. The man and I loved this movie and will happily watch it again very soon.

CARS

We also purchased the cartoon movie Cars. This one was for my man. He wanted to watch this so I humored him. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. As usual my man went to sleep before the movie ended (which is why we tend to buy DVDs instead of going to the movies!) but I watched it all the way through and laughed a lot.

Do you like movies? What was the last one you saw? Do you prefer comedy, drama, thrillers or something else? Do you have a personal favorite that you like to watch again and again?

6 Comments:

Blogger Estella said...

The last movie I watched was King Kong. I do not have a favorite movie, nor do I watch them over again.

5:04 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Shel,

I'm a Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings junkie. I could watch them all weekend. I find I can also write to the 'noise' of a good movie that I've already seen a couple of times. If I put on a new movie and try to write I find myself watching the movie and getting nothing done.

I'm also TOTALLY into anime now, thanks to my teens. We watch Iny Yasha, Avatar:The Last Airbender, and Marmalade Boy. And yep, I could watch 'em a million times and not be bored.

It's a damned shame - we have a gazillion cable channels and there's never anything on!

TJ

6:18 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Funny the last movie I saw was Cars. Took the kids for a special day out.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

I can't tell you the last time I saw a movie, lol.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

I have not seen a movie for a while but I want to see Santa Clause 3 because it seems to be a funny Christmas movie to see.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love movies but I don't get to them as often as I'd like so we get a lot of DVDs for rent and buy our big favorites.

I like dark action and horror flicks a lot - Alien and Aliens, Blade Runner, The Matrix movies, etc.

comedy wise, I like dark wit and subtle humor with the occasional goofball movie like So I Married An Axe Murderer (I've seen this one three dozen times and I STILL laugh)

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home