Monday, October 23, 2006

You Know How to Whistle?

Taken from the movie TO HAVE AND TO HAVE NOT (1944) starring Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart are the famous words:

You know how to whistle don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and...blow.

I learnt to whistle when I was about ten or so. After much practicing a noise came from between my pursed lips. Sometimes it was good. Sometimes it was great. And sometimes it was just plain embarrassing. I'm ashamed to admit that my whistling expertise hasn't improved with age. A case in point - yesterday. The dog was doing her own little thing and not hurrying when I wanted her to hurry. I whistled and this rush of air sounded. It was pitiful! The dog kept right on exploring. I laughed, because if you don't laugh at yourself....well, someone else will. *sigh* I complained to my husband about my lack of skill when it came to whistling. He, of course, can whistle up a storm. He just laughed at me. I think he appreciates me for things other than my whistling skills *grin*

Picture this: a building site. A female (that would be me). A hunky builder wearing shorts and his boots but not much else. Yep, a female (that would be me) naturally has an inclination to whistle. But the whistle? Well, it could be a great one, or I might need to slink around the corner and hide. Would you risk it? I'm telling you - whistling is a very important skill in a girl's flirting repertoire.

So, do you know how to whistle? What happens when you put your lips together and blow?

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can whistle but not as good as some people can. When I was a little kid I loved to whistle but my dad would get so mad at me and tell me to stop. He always said that a whistling woman and a crowing hen always come to a no good end. LOL I just learned to whistle where he couldn't hear me. LOL

2:01 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

Whistling always sounded like such a great skill to have, but I am an air whistler and always have been. While all my sisters can do the fingers in the mouth thing, I can't blow out anything but air, fingers or not. I am a dud in the whistling category.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't lie...I can't whistle, and when I try to it sounds pathetic, lol :-)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't whistle.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

LOL - someone is missing a prime marketing opportunity. We need an Idiot's Guide to Whistling for those who can't. I don't feel quite so alone now *grin*

Glenna: And they say kids say the darnedest things. LOL - I think it's parents.

Cathie: That's very interesting about the whistling and that you sense it.

7:50 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Just hot air comes out, lol!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

I can't whistle for beans, darn it.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

I've tried whistling but no luck in much of sound. I think some people have it but others don't and I'm one of them.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Pamk said...

lol couldn't whistle until after I was grown and married. I lost a tooth when I was about 10 in a bike accident and had lots of dental procdures done because of that and didn't have a tooth there for a while and it hard to whistle when your missing your front tooth.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Hey, ladies, I think we'd create quite a novel sound if we managed to get together! LOL

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home