Thursday, October 26, 2006

It That's Time Again!

Yes, it's time to talk about...food! Can you tell it's one of my favorite subjects. That's why my backside is always at the gym (well, in between work, writing and homeschooling, that is).

It's snowing like nobody's business here - wet sloppy mess. But the beautiful (but frickin' cold) white stuff, along with the gold and red leaves (that my son hates to rake up) brings to mind that Fall is in full swing. That means Thanksgiving is coming up pretty quick. I'm having a new page prepared where we can continue (in true raunchy style) our story of Red Tigress' Rough Rider. Until it's ready I'd like to share some of the yummy dishes we've enjoyed over the years during the holidays.

My favorite is Turducken. Now this is my ex's specialty. Even after we 'disbanded' I've managed to get him to cook this dish and drop it off every holiday for the past couple of years! Yes, girlfriend, it's THAT good!

So, what's Turducken? It's a chicken, stuffed inside of a duck, stuffed inside of a turkey. Each layer of meat has a different filling. The chicken has oyster stuffing in it. The duck has andouille sausage stuffing (not my favorite, but it works for this dish), and the turkey has traditional sage cornbread stuffing.

AND THERE'S NO BONES! All three birds are completely deboned, except for the turkey legs and wings. So when it's all put together, it just looks like a huge turkey. But when you slice it, you see all the layers. And with no bones, it's a snap to serve.

Next time, I'm going to tell you, step by step, how to make Shrimp Creole or Sweet Potato Pie. So, what are you having for your Thanksgiving or Harvest celebration?

16 Comments:

Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Sounds interesting, TJ. I watched an English cooking show recently and Hugh stuffed 10 birds of various sizes inside each other when he was doing a celebratory medieval dinner. I was so fascinated I blogged about it. We saw him out hunting/shooting the birds and then trying to squeeze them inside each other. Not nice for a vege to look at but still interesting.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet potato pie, yum! Pecan pie, yum!

For Thanksgiving we'll do turkey most likely. My husband loves turkey. With the usual - smashed potatoes, green bean casserole, fresh bread, pumpkin pie, macaroni and cheese.

My parents are coming to visit at Christmas and we often have friends over too so I'm guessing it'll be a big spread with ham and turkey and I may even make a lasagne too.

5:13 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Shelley,

Good god, ten birds! Wow, that's something to write home about. I've never heard of such a thing. I bet it must have been interesting to look at, eh?

TJ

7:43 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Lauren, are you going to do all the cookin' for Thanksgiving since your parents aren't coming until Christmas? And you make fresh bread? Okay, NOW I'm impressed. My daughter makes fresh bread. Mine always turns out looking more like smashed bread while hers comes out perfect every time!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

I gotta say, this is a very creative idea. It sounds great, but wonder who even thought it up? I am more of a dessert girl anyway, so bring em on.

8:01 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Wow, you are certainly still friendly with the ex, lol.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

Snow, oh no..not yet!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

Shrimp Creole, please. Sounds yummy!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

My daughter is cooking, so don't have a clue,about what we are having.

11:24 PM  
Blogger N.J.Walters said...

Snow...yuck. I've never had turducken, but I've heard about it. That's cool that your ex still brings it over every year. You go girl!

I love sweet potatoes and stuffing. LOL

3:46 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Cathy,

Since you're a dessert girl, what are you making for the holidays? I have my favorites, but I always try to make at least one new dish or dessert every year. So, chicklet, how 'bout it?

TJ

10:16 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Oh, now NJ is singing my song! Give me sweet potatoes and dressing and I'm pretty much happy!

TJ

10:18 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Lisa,

Yeah, I'm friendly with the ex. He does the 'father-son' thing with our boy so I may as well be civil...and if I can get free food out of it, then that's a plus!

TJ

10:19 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Debra wants Shrimp Creole! Your wish is my command!

TJ

10:20 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Estella,
My daughter is cooking, too. But, er, but her teenaged behind is still living in my house so it's going to look like the kitchen exploded when she's finished!

TJ

10:21 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Shuck ying, yep, snow. As a matter of fact, we don't usually get much down here near Denver, but overnight the storm left up to sixteen inches in places. Luckily, my house only got five or eight...yep, just enough to stay home from work! Woohoo!

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home