Thursday, December 07, 2006

Now...Let's Talk Entertainment

Gotcha! I bet you thought I meant movies or film!

Nope! I'm talking about having a bunch of people invade your house, eat your food, dirty up your livingroom, pile dishes in your sink, then sit back on your couch and fight the urge to snore. Sounds like fun, right?

I must admit, when I was growing up in San Francisco the holidays and gathering of family was what I looked forward to most. Even with grandma fussing about how lazy we were because we didn't want to spend the day cleaning, my uncles yelling to the top of their lungs that they hated so-and-so's sucky football team, and my grandpa putting money on the table to bet on who would finish eating first, it was still ridiculously fun. Dysfunctional? Yep! But still fun!

Gathering of family has always been an important event in every culture I can think of. So, as you prepare those recipes and get ready to chase other peoples kids off the top of your dining room table, just remember there's nothing like family!

This year, I'll be alone for Christmas for the first time in my life (waaaahhhh!). I live in Colorado and don't have any relatives here. My kids are heading back to California to spend time with the ex's side of the family. And I'll enjoy some quiet (my kids are awesome, but I do have to pay attention to them every now and then *wink*) Hey...maybe I can actually finish one of these four books I'm working on!

Now here's the question: What are you doing, or not doing, for the holidays? Visiting? Or being visited? Cooking? Or being cooked for?

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Well I'm being visited and doing the cooking
Which is just the way I like it and so does my family

5:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

I will be visiting, which should be fun and any big event cooking at my house gets done by my DH. I am a very lucky gal. Only baking on my list is for any goodies that I send or have around for my menfolk. All totally doable.

7:34 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey Liz,

Whatcha cookin' woman?

TJ

8:02 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Cathy,

You going to see family or friends? More important, can they cook?

My boss dreads going to her sister-in-laws house every year 'cause the poor woman couldn't warm up a pre-cooked ham without burning it to a crisp if the fate of the universe depended on it :D

TJ

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww hon, too bad you don't live closer or you could come share the chaos at my house.

It's going to be just the five of us this year. My parents have come the last few years so this will be the first time it's just going to be me, the dude and the wee monsters.

I'm making lasagne on Christmas eve and a turkey christmas day. Lots of mulled wine and cider, christmas music and hanging out.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

TJ
A turkey a ham and pork loin with all th trimmings plus cookies candies a chocolate torte,
might do lasagna and stuffed shells since we have a open house and some of the company will be staying.
I had to ask for mare chafing dishes and chargers for Christmas with how the holidays keep growing. Plus I bought another long folding table

11:35 PM  
Blogger Loretta said...

I usually order tamales from a friend of mine and have them for Christmas dinner. My son and his 2 boys who have been staying with us are going to Okla. for Xmas, so my daughter and her son will probably come over.
Loretta

2:55 AM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

We've finally settled on gumbo (seafood stew). We'll do it when the kids get back home from their California visit.

And work is insane...it's looking more and more like I can forget having a vacation.

TJ

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home