Thursday, January 25, 2007

Beauty and The ... Jerk?

When I read a romance, I read for the fantasy of the story. I want something that won’t remind me of all the stuff I deal with on a daily basis. But while reality bites, there has to be a bit of life thrown in so I can relate to and/or understand the characters.

Heroines are important in any story, but today I wanna talk about men.

The hero in any book plays half the part, which means he's got a major role, in whether I'll escape reality and curl up with the story until my eyeballs cross or I fall asleep. I have yet to see a book cover with an ugly man on it. But what do you do when the hero on the cover of the book doesn't quite match up with the hero inside the book?

What do you mean, TJ? Do you mean the guy on the cover is six-foot-four, drop dead gorgeous with rippling abs and, er, certain other desirable body parts, while the hero in the story is five-foot-four with a face like a pit bull?

Not really.

What I mean is when I'm finished reading the blurb and drooling over the cover, I expect a story where the hero and heroine have a hell of a ride to happily-ever-after. Now that doesn't mean the hero can’t be flawed. Doesn't mean I can't do a haunted, broken, trying-to-figure-out-life kind of guy. Now, what the hell does that have to do with romance?

If the hero is more beautiful inside than outside, it's still a story I can get into. In the end, it’s all about the jerk factor. And that factor is different for everyone.

Hero + Gorgeous + Alpha + Vulnerable = Oh baby!
Hero + Broken But Strong of Heart + Not So Gorgeous + Willing To Go All Out = Oh, baby!
Hero + Gorgeous + Jerk = TJ Moving On To The Next Story

What adds up to an awesome or not-so-awesome hero for you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy M said...

Totally agree on the jerk factor. The gorgeous part isn't crucial, and he can even be a jerk for a moment or maybe even two, but if he doesn't snap out of it, or our heroine doesn't knock the sense back into him, I'm done. Love the alpha and vulnerable quality combo that makes a guy smart enough to learn as he goes and care enough to compromise.

4:44 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Amen, girl! You summed it up for me, for sure.

TJ

11:10 AM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Amen, girl! You summed it up for me, for sure.

TJ

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home