Monday, November 06, 2006

Camels!

I'm a sucker for animals, and I love going camel riding whenever the opportunity presents itself. This is a bit strange considering my first experience wasn't the best. The day after we went riding I had difficulty walking, and let's just say I wouldn't have looked out of place strolling along in the company of cowboys. I was definitely bandy-legged!

They're not the prettiest of creatures and they don't smell the best. They fart and grunt and groan and some of them are extremely bad tempered.

The photos are taken in Egypt. There's another photo of this wee chappie on my website where he's trying to get up close and personal with me. There was a group of us and we each rode a camel. We were in the Western Desert. They were part of a herd of mothers and babies and they ambled along quite happily without the normal grunting and groaning. It was the best camel ride ever!

This other photo, also taken in Egypt, was before we set out to visit St Simeon's Monastry. These camels weren't as nice but it was still lots of fun. I always wonder what would happen if they decided to take off. So far that hasn't happened! Luckily for me!! Getting off and on the camels is half the fun and the first time it's a bit alarming. If you're not careful you can tip over their heads.


I've only ridden the camels that have one hump but have seen a few of the two-humped camels. A camel's gait is quite different from a horses but is surprisingly comfortable once you get used to it. Camel riding is definitely something you should try once in your life time.

6 Comments:

Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Never ridden one but sounds kidda adventurous.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Have never ridden one and probably never will.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

I don't think I have the fortitude to try riding a camel.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

Sounds a bit gross, lol.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

I'm sure you'd enjoy the experience :-)

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home