Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday Pie!

I'm with Lauren - this week was so trying I, too, am glad to see it gone! But now on to the good stuff... (Sorry but stupid blogger isn't letting me upload pictures. I'll try again later.)

Have you ever had a recipe given to you by someone, say your grandma or your mom, and you look at it and say, 'Huh?' Where are all the measurements? Where's the canned stuff I'm supposed to put in it? Well, this is one of those recipes! But it's so good you'll thank me later. Note: All of this, with the exception of the eggs, is based on your preference of how sweet or spicy you want your pie, m'kay?

SWEET POTATO PIE
3 fresh sweet potatoes (yams will do as well)
2 Eggs
Pie crust - fresh or frozen will do
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Butter - REAL butter, mind you. Not that margarine stuff :D
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Dash of Salt
Baking Powder
Flour

Here we go: Wash the sweet potatoes and rub them down with a little bit of vegetable oil. Put them in a baking pan and stick them in the oven on 375. Bake them until they're done. Well, when is that? When you can stick a fork in 'em with no problem. Sit the sweet potatoes aside to cool.

Poke some holes in the bottom of your pie crust and stick it in the oven to brown on the bottom. It takes five to ten minutes and keeps the pie from getting mushy on the bottom while the filling is baking in it later.

Peel the potatoes and mash them in a bowl (I cheat and use a food processor). Add the eggs and all the other ingredients, except the flour and baking soda (you'll add those last, after the filling is as sweet/spicy as you want it). Mix well until smooth.

NOW, add a little bit of flour and about a half-teaspoon of baking soda to give it some texture. Put the whole lot into your pie shell and bake at 350 until done. It takes about an hour. I bake mine until it's dark brown on top. Be sure to let it settle a bit before you serve it. Plop some whipped cream on top if you like, maybe some French Vanilla ice cream, and dig in.

When my web diva gets back we'll have a link to these recipes and more on my website so you don't have to wait until I post one to get 'em. We'll also have JEWELRY! Yes, I said jewelry. I'm a sucker for sterling silver (can't wear the fake stuff) and genuine gemstones so stay tuned for hand made jewelry, including jade, aventurine, jasper, amethyst, turquoise, and more. Also, we'll do some made to order stuff, too.

Happy baking and happy Sunday :D

TJ

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurve me some sweet potato pie! But no one else in my family does so I have to coax my mom to make it for me when I go visit, LOL.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. thanks, TJ. I can't wait to try it.

Anyone have a fool proof pecan pie recipe? Lately the one I've used for years, from the Karo bottle, just doesn't set.

Patti

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Patti, I have two (both are from one of my favorite recipe sites online):

This one is chocolate Pecan Pie

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup white sugar (I like brown in pecan pie usually but with the chocolate, I prefer the white)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie (I often just use store bought freezer pastry but I'm a pie wuss)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

In a heavy saucepan combine melted butter, corn syrup, white sugar and cocoa. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Add vanilla, salt and eggs, stirring well. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Mix well.
Pour filling into unbaked pastry shell and top with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 55 - 60 minutes. Let cool and serve.

This pie is really even better hte next day!

Pecan Pie

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (you can use fresh if you like, as I said, I'm hopeless at making pastry crusts)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup dark corn syrup (I like the dark but I've had it with light, it's less sweet that ways)
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat together the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla.

Arrange pecans in bottom of pie crust and pour mixture over.
Bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing.

I have to keep a close eye on this, sometimes an hour is too much, other times not enough to set in the center.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

I have never had Sweet Potato Pie, but wow, did this sound yummy. Great recipe, put it in my Thanksgiving possibilities pile.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer A. Ray said...

This looks great! Can't wait to try it...

I love Sweet Potato Pie with some Cinnamon Ice Cream. The Edy's brand sold that flavor as a limited edition flavor last year, and I'll be looking for it again.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

The pie sounds yummy!

8:31 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Hey guys,
I couldn't get into blogger for awhile.

Cathy, you've never had sweet potatoe pie? Girl, it's so good. As a matter of fact, if you like pumpkin pie, this'll convert ya to a sweet potatoe pie woman!

TJ

12:38 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

Cinnamon ice cream? Oh my GOODNESS! That sounds good! I'll have to look for it. Hopefully they'll do it again this year.

TJ

12:39 PM  
Blogger TJ Michaels said...

OH, and my grandma used to take pecans and mix 'em with a little bit of butter and sugar until it was crumbly, then sprinkle it on top of the pie about halfway through the baking time.

Talk about GOOD! Whew, goodness!

TJ

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home