Friday, January 05, 2007

Ice Cream

I love ice cream - really love ice cream - but it's not something we normally have in our house. For one, the freezer is too small for ice cream and two, I normally spend the calories on chocolate because that's my absolute favorite :-)

A few years ago we purchased an ice cream making machine. For several months we had lots of ice cream and experimented with flavors and recipes before deciding that we needed to stop for a while. We were both getting jelly bellies, which I can assure you is not a nice look!! This year we decided we'd drag the machine out of the cupboard and make ice cream. Just once or twice, you understand, and somehow we'd fit the ice cream in the freezer.

Yum!

The favorite flavor in our house at the moment is vanilla with shreds of real chocolate plus the left over apricot glaze (most of it was used on the Christmas ham). We've cut down on the sugar a little so it's not too sweet and it is just delicious.

And a confession - we've been eating LOTS of ice cream. Jelly belly alert :-(

Who likes ice cream? What is your favorite flavor? Have you ever tried making your own ice cream?

6 Comments:

Blogger Cathy M said...

The last ice cream maker I had was this convulted thing that you had to add rock salt to, which always ended up flavoring the ice cream. Big yuk factor. Sounds like it might be time to try again. My absolute favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip. I am so wanting a scoop right now...

7:06 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Oh, yes! Mint choc chip brings back some great memories - we used to go to the shop to get a cone each for afternoon tea during one hot summer when I worked at a car sales place. Of course, we had to walk past the mechanic's bay to get to the ice cream shop...

8:46 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

My favorie is Mountain Blackberry Revel.
Have never tried to make my own.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

That sounds yummy, Estella. When we were over in the US we tried bear claw ice cream. We don't have that in NZ since we don't have bears!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I LOVE ice cream, it is my comfort food, so my hubby will buy it for me as a treat because he knows I love it. My favorite flavor is mint chocolate (my two favorite flavors in my favorite medium). The only ice cream that i have made was when we made when i was teaching pre-school (back in college) and we made ice cream in a bag.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Another vote for mint chocolate!
Kris, your hubby sounds like a keeper ;-)
The ice cream in a bag sounds interesting. How does that work?

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home